Research and Travel support
UIC offers various sources of funding for travel (and other research purposes), and the department has been successful in obtaining them – in principle, every student who earns their PhD in our department should be able to obtain funding from one of these sources at least once in their time at UIC. In addition to easing the financial burden of being a student, applying for awards is good practice, and successful applications enhance your CV. Students should take the initiative in applying, but the DGS will help in any way he/she can.
Several of the awards have application cycles, with deadlines. Since they also require the department to file paperwork, they have earlier departmental deadlines listed here – materials need to be in to the DGS and graduate secretary by these times if they are to be filed in time. Moreover, please inform the DGS of your intention to apply as early as possible.
Here are the main sources, though a search may turn up others.
- LAS-Philosophy Department Travel Awards will subsidize travel to present or comment at meetings. We have two deadlines each year, November 15th and April 1st, each year: submit your request at the first date after you are accepted to the meeting. Requests must show that other grants (such as those on this page) were applied for (requests for matching funds for such applications should be made as needed). Students can count on receiving at least $100 for eligible trips. Eligibility and instructions are found here. (Ignore the LAS instructions.)
- The Graduate Student Presenter Awards are intended to help graduate students defray costs associated with presenting research at scholarly meetings or conferences, (e.g., registration and/or travel expenses).
- Graduate Student Council Awards are issued by the governing graduate student body consisting of representatives from all degree-granting programs in the Graduate College.
- Provost's Award for Graduate Research is open to all graduate students currently enrolled at UIC, and can provide a substantial sum for an important activity related to your research (see the webpage for a list of examples). The award requires department nomination to the Graduate College, but in the first place you should self-nominate to the DGS by September 23rd 2017 (for the Fall competition) or February 17th 2018 (for the Spring competition). If the department nominates you, all materials (including letters) are due to the department by October 17th 2017, or by March 13th 2018.
- Chancellor's Graduate Research Fellowship Program supports increased multidisciplinary scholarship opportunities and exposure to varied research and creative fields for graduate and professional students. (Many branches of philosophy can be considered multidisciplinary and the committee tends to take a broad view of the matter. In short, this program is a good bet for many of our students.) All materials are due into the department by October 3, 2016 (for final submission to the Graduate College by October 7, 2016).
- The President's Research in Diversity Travel Award - is issued by the Vice President for Academic Affairs. This competitive award provides a certificate and funding, not to exceed $600, for students to travel to a professional conference.